Lotus Vegetable Cornbread Muffins
• 1 1/2 cups Lotus Organic Plain or Spelt Flour
• 1 tablespoon Lotus Gluten Free Baking Powder
• 1/2 teaspoon Lotus Fine Sea Salt
• 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
• 2 cups Lotus Gluten Free Cornflakes
• 1 1/4 cups milk of choice
• 1 egg
• 1/3 cup oil or melted butter
• 1 cup diced vegetables
• 1 cup diced or grated cheese
For diced vegetables, use a combination of different coloured capsicum, corn kernels, brown or spanish onion, spring onion and coriander leaves – depending on what you have on hand. Use cheddar, pecorino or mozzarella cheese. Sieve together the flour, baking powder, salt and spice. Meanwhile mix the cornflakes and milk. Whisk the egg and oil into the milk and then add the vegetables and cheese to the milk mix. Combine with the flour, stirring to mix well but don’t over mix. Pour into greased muffin tins or patty paper lined tins and bake at 180’C for 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Serve warm or cold, plain or with butter. Can also be baked as a loaf, it will take 30-40 minutes to cook and can be enjoyed sliced.
For an egg free version: use 1 tablespoon Lotus Chia Seeds mixed with 2 tablespoons of water to replace the eggs.